These guys are the best of the best.
Quick relfecx on going private
I went private because I am getting bored on twitter and I haven’t done it before thought id try it out
So here’s some quick thots:
- I get no RTs now. That’s a weird thing to ‘give up’ I guess? Idk.
- I behave 100% no different as private (so far) but maybe that’s bc its still all the same old followers? Mine is not a tiny account for gripes and stuff mostly I have escaped attention through Bayesian flooding – too much noise to make sense of any one thing that might “get me in trouble” with anyone I guess?
- Tons of my friends have no got multiple thousands of followers, even 10s of thousands, and sometimes that’s being a hassle. I said I was happy with my 1900 and I also wanted to see if that really was the case, whether “swearing off” the social-audience-growth elements of a twitter account would mean a “loss” to me in any way???? Can the “exclusivity” of a highly followed private acct do anything a public account can’t in terms of cultivating an audience – or a niche????
- I have been disengaging a bit from twitter for a while, just from exhaustion and boredom – a confluence of being overworked and mad stressed, and also from kind of being bored of twitter having the same arguments, the same kinds of engagements, the same slightly misconstrued miscommunications. I guess I’m getting a little tired of the knee-jerkyness of twitter sometimes too. Like maybe this is part and parcel of me trying to do really deep thinking in my thesis and twitter is not really helping that habit/desire/need etc.
- going private means NO ONE who doesnt follow you will see tweets you send to them. in one sense this encourages disengagement but in ANOTHER sense I now want to tweet shit at people and only my followers will see it?? prviate jape???? (theres potential here but idk what it is)
- Plus, god I hate saying this I love you all, but fuckin hell I follow some iditios on titter
- What is my theory of social change? Ann Deslandes asked this on twitter a while back and I guess I don’t have a good idea, but I guess I thought (think?) it involves some kind of role for myself as a public person, public intellectual, well what if there isn’t room to do that justice on tiwtter or in public anywhere in the parts of public life that correspond to Jodi Dean’s description of ‘communicative capitalism’ stuff – endless circulation, all content, no message ever responded to??? (but even that is a particular critique only applies to, I guess, governmetns or states??? Not to individuals and small groups or corporations?? Cf. the Mozilla CEO – Mary Hamilton had the best take)
- Graeber argues that the Axial age advent of coinage (and the military/imperial/commercial complex that grew up around it) as having the effect of somehow giving birth to, or encouraging materialism is really fucking disturbing and giving me the heebee jeebies. Its like putting on the glasses in They Live and seeingthe ideology, but it’s also strangely, what I’ve been trying to conclude in my thesis and its really just leaving me with MORE questions about my role, my thinking, my aesthetics and what I do in practise…
This is perhaps the greatest game ever made, all attempts to top it are in vain. Give up on your puny pathetic games now. Thus spake the 10rd.
i hate men doesn’t mean i hate you. it means i hate your position in this world. it means i’m not obligated to like you. it means i don’t have to talk to you if i don’t want to. it means i get to have my space and i don’t have to dance for you, smile at you, or soothe you. and you can put up with me being wary of you, can’t you, because the world has a fucking red carpet waiting for you wherever you go.
Incredible, moving stuff, and the kind of thing that it took to really get through to me back-in-the-day. I do feel bad tho, knowing how many people out there just will not get this, and will not understand it, will not comprehend the depth of meaning and the nuance and, above all, i guess something like the literary character of this piece… that’s not to say that it’s only to be read literarily, or as an allegory or something – i read it as entirely sincere. but there’s a performative element, and element that maybe derrida would jizz over and say was “unrepreesntable” or something like that god fucking dammit why does everyone have to be so literal, so bloody minded all the time idk idk idk sping around three times and touch the ground bags not it.
its a worthy piece.
(Actually this isn’t a particularly great snapshot of what i’ve been working on, more like the stuff I wish I had time to be working on)
Probably the best of these type of video I’ve seen. But also the music suuuuuucks so…
This song was pretty crucial in helping me reach escape velocity from evangelical christianity, back in the day (the original, obviously, not this cover). I’m not kidding.
Closer by NIN – Covered by Kawehi from Kawehi on Vimeo.